Whigfield tells it like it is

whigfield1Do you remember Whigfield? I do. Also known as Sannie Charlotte Carlson, Whigfield had a huge hit in the 90’s with Saturday Night. What a great opening line; Dee Dee Na Na Na!

Now of course she came and performed the song on Live and Kicking! She was Number One in the charts, and also she would have had no choice. In the 90’s pop singers were treated like performing monkeys by their sinister svengali masters, the record pluggers. But sometimes they found their own way of rebelling. Whigfield rebelled on two fronts. Firstly, she refused to do the Saturday Night dance. This involved (and I quote from Wikipedia here) “the unusual feature of looping a pattern of five bar-long steps over an ordinary four-bar cycle of music.” I mean, I thought it was that, but, you know, it’s best to get these things right. And she wouldn’t do it. I think she was asked to do the dance on the show. She said, “I don’t do it.”

Later, we stood chatting to Whigfield, and this is where her second act of rebellion took place. Off camera, there was me, Trev, Emma Forbes and Whigfield. Emma asked Whigfield what it felt like to be Number One. And Whigfield said; “It feels like shit.”

Dee Dee Na Na Na!

12 Responses to Whigfield tells it like it is

1. Middle Man says:

….more importantly, is Emma Forbes as gorgeous in the flesh as she was on screen. This will explain why:

What is she up to these days?

Emma’s lovely. As to what she’s up to… sorry, haven’t a clue.

3. Trevor Neal says:

I had a signed pic of Whigfield like that too but sadly it has faded because it was on my wall for most of the 90’s

4. tomM says:

Haha great story! I had a huge adolescent crush on this particular popstar!

See you really need share more stories in the podcast. Not sure if or why you’re trying to avoid talking about “nostalgic” topics, but with this and the Phil Collins story it’s clear you must have an absolute treasure trove of great anecdotes..

5. tomM says:

blimey, she’s still around and still performing it..

Looking good considering she’s almost 40..

6. Andrea says:

Simon – this made me laugh out loud, too.

Trev/Simon – did you guys have to actually ask your star guests for autographed photos? is it weird when one person in showbiz asks another like that? or not, as there is some sort of hierarchy going on?

Middle Man – love the blog. šŸ™‚

7. Trevor Neal says:

I was always very excited about having star guests on the show and always felt just like a fan (if it was someone I was a fan of)so it never bothered me asking for autographs. I remember annoying Paul McCartney though because I got the autograph for my mum. He said it made him feel old. Now I wish I’d got it for myself but my judgement was clouded at that time by the Frog Chorus. I was still proud to hand him his guitar on stage just before he played. I was Paul McCartney’s roadie for a morning.

And one of his daughters asked us for our autograph. Possibly Stella, who you’ll know now as Stella from A Streetcar named Desire.

9. Susie says:

Great story!

I actually met a bloke thanks to Whigfield’s music. We were at a student disco and both of us refused to do that stupid dance – our eyes met across the room, we had a drink… We ended up going out for about three years

I agree, you two must have some fantastic tales from your days on Saturday morning telly. I appreciate you don’t want to go on about it but it would be fun to hear a few more.

You were both so funny on Going Live, which was one of my favourite programmes. I even saw you on your Potfish tour.

I randomly looked up some of your old clips on youtube the other day and then discovered your brilliant podcasts. I am so pleased you are doing these they are very funny. I listen to them on my ipod on the way to work and keep laughing out loud!

Looking forward to future podcasts.

10. rumpio says:

I see Whigfield still isn’t doing the dance šŸ™‚

11. Joff Thompson says:

Ha, nice one Whiggy! I have to confess to having about 5 of her albums, she’s still going, she writes stuff with Benny Benassi now and calls herself Naan… I

12. Stephen says:

I remember seeing her on Live & Kicking twice, once where she performed “Another Day” (the follow up to “Saturday Night” and the other one was for “Big Time”.

I remember the sketch in the record shop and Whigfield comes to get her duna (Danish for duvet) cleaned. Then you guys play “Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting” by Elton John. You ask her if there’s anything else she wants and she says she wants some fish, and then you ask her what the Danish for fish is….FISK! Amazing!